xkb: Switch delay to a group

Dirk Wallenstein halsmit at t-online.de
Thu Feb 4 00:37:25 PST 2010

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 02:49:38 +0300 Ilya Murav'jov wrote:
> > I've found shift+shift (i.e. left shift + right shift) to be the best
> > option. Partly because I've remapped caps lock to be control.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but I think it not a good solution to suggest
> everyone to learn again what keybinding suits well. Many people use
> Ctrl+Shift/Alt+Shift without problems under M$ OS, and you cant tell
> them to change their habits.
>
> And I just suggest to implement the option I mentioned earlier. I think
> it is not hard to do but I'm not entirely sure... So it would be nice if
> someone knowing the XKB code confirm my guess.

The thing is, and I guess you have seen that, is that the handlers are
missing the differentiation between Press/Release altogether. If you
could fix that you can use XkbFilterRec to store a flag. I think just
going more global is not the right thing to do here.

xkbActions.c needs a decent overhaul and I will do that as soon as I can
switch to XKB programming more comprehensively (my current work has a
completely different set of requirements, and I would prefer to do one
after the other).

I have a list of ideas, of what could be part of a future XKB, and
switch-group-on-release is on there. I haven't had the canceling thing.
You want to cancel the group-switch if any unrelated key is being
pressed, right? Also, another modifier?

But don't let this stop you from improving xkbActions.c.

You might want to base that on a current version.

Greetings, Dirk.