Lack of middle button emulation makes HP life hard

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Dec 9 07:59:45 PST 2010

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 11:35:00AM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > So, HP laptops come with a pointy-stick in the middle of the keyboard
> > and only two buttons. Not having middle-button emulation in this
> > environment is pretty harsh.
> >
> > I know it's not optimal to enable this by default, but I'm wondering
> > what can be done to not break these people's machines?
>
> I'd consider the loss of out-of-the-box middle-button emulation a
> serious regression.  I've never noticed the latency it imposes on
> single button clicks, so in my opinion Peter made the wrong tradeoff
> there.

To be honest - and this is pretty similar to the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
thing - I'm willing to bet that people who rely on left click to select
PRIMARY and middle click to paste it, are capable of navigating to a GUI
control panel and selecting one checkbox.

(Before someone says 'but not everyone uses GNOME, you fascist': people
 who use xmonad or OpenBox or whatever are _more than_ capable of
 setting this themselves.)

Cheers,
Daniel