lack of standardization on X11

Vignatti Tiago (Nokia-MS/Helsinki) tiago.vignatti at nokia.com
Wed Aug 18 10:44:26 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 07:28:17PM +0200, ext Mikhail Gusarov wrote:

> Twas brillig at 20:25:43 18.08.2010 UTC+03 when tiago.vignatti at nokia.com did gyre and gimble:
>
>  VT> But I'm not talking about applications built on the top of
>  VT> almost-core X protocol, like redbaron. No one does this today. Get
>  VT> real and useful applications like recent compositor managers or a
>  VT> browser and come tell me about interoperability with old servers :)
>
> Nope. Get real and useful old application which uses lots of extensions
> and tell me about interoperability with new servers. It works _this_
> way.

I don't think anyone understood... :(

...to name a few extensions constantly being developed: XKB, Xi, Render, DRI2,
RandR. Todays applications are built on the top of them. Okay? Now try to
port an application using these recent extensions to some old server. It's
impossible!

There's no standard - we can freely add and remove extensions within X11
implementation and then applications will be loosely following some undefined
rule, because the strict part to follow - the X11 core protocol - is useless
anyway.

I hope I was clear now. And yeah, this thread is becoming boring. I'm done :)

PS: I'd guess Julien Danjou shares a lot my way of thinking. Follow here:

http://julien.danjou.info/blog/2010.html#Thoughts%20and%20rambling%20on%20the%20X%20protocol

             Tiago