Fixing devPrivates

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Apr 29 10:33:35 PDT 2010

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:04:35 +0300, tiago.vignatti at nokia.com wrote:

> And when extensions are not used then would be just nil pointers in those
> structures, which doesn't cost much.

Right now, we can preserve ABI even across differently built X servers
because the data structures aren't supposed to depend on the compile
options. That's a big deal for some people.

> And you totally ignored my readability argument, which you know counts a lot
> in terms of development.

I don't think anyone discounts the readability argument. Not having
devPrivates would be better in many ways, but saving memory and
preserving ABI are also valuable. We just need to balance these
conflicting desires.

keith.packard at intel.com