[PULL] linuxdoc, other build fixes

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Tue Apr 27 12:37:41 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 09:20 -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Alan Coopersmith
> <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:
> > Gaetan Nadon wrote:
> >> The root cause is simple: not all platforms have the tools to generate
> >> the docs. There maybe a solution: unlike executable code, docs do not
> >> need to be built on all platforms. A "doc only" tarball could be
> >> produced and posted like any other package.
> >
> > The long term solution we've desired for other reasons is to reduce the
> > number of documentation formats we use and tools we require.   We've long
> > ago said (at least informally) that we consider LinuxDoc deprecated and
> > that it's still in our tree only because no one has had the time to translate
> > those documents to DocBook.   When X.Org first started we had planned on
> > standardizing on DocBook/XML, though more recently there have been suggestions
> > toward standardizing on something more user friendly like AsciiDoc that can
> > be translated to DocBook and thus output the desired end results (.txt, .html,
> > .pdf) via the same tools.
>
> FWIW, I've been poking at converting the linuxdoc sources in the
> server to docbook xml. There are only 3 of them, but dmx.sgml and
> DESIGN.sgml are large documents. The formats are similar, but it's a
> pretty manual process (especially since linuxdoc allows lots of
> behavior that's not valid xml). If anyone knows any automatic
> translators from linuxdoc to docbook, let me know.

I tried a conversion from sgml to latex using linuxdoc -B latex. It
seemed to do a good and it did not treat the toc as plain text. There
are converters from latex to docbook, but I could not get instant
success (tried plastex). There could be an acceptable input format other
than docbook that we can convert to.

Asciidoc can convert txt to docbook, and the toc can be fixed
afterwards. Maybe you have already tried all those permutations.