xserver devel process

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Apr 26 22:36:18 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 02:56:13PM +0300, Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 01:25:05AM +0200, ext Peter Hutterer wrote:
> >
> > So here's the question - what parts are still unclear and missing from the
> > wiki page above?
>
> "ajax volunteered to scoop up dangling patches. If your patch isn't picked up
> in a reasonable time, don't hesitate to ping the list or the maintainer."

there's been talk about setting up patchwork too. that may help with stuff
like this. want to follow this up/ I'm not sure what the current status is
(if there is any status to it)

> the latter is what's been happening a lot with me recently (some xvfb patches,
> libx86 and int10 rework and --disable-fontserver all were sent some weeks ago
> and no one commented). Maybe we should certify that MAINTAINERS file is more
> updated? BTW, do we have a MAINTAINERS for other components besides Xorg, for
> instance xvfb?
>
> I don't have any good plan how we could circumvent this but I think we should
> discuss a bit more at least. Do you have some ideas?

at this point what we're mainly lacking is manpower. I think ajax was rather
optimistic on the "scooping up patches", in the same manner as I was
optimistic trying to juggle two stable branches.

what I did with patches that got no response was to include them in a
separate pull request (i.e. passing the buck to Keith :)

at some point, some trust is required and if some patches are unreviewed by
others, we can (IMO) still pull them into master. Even if Keith can't review
them properly for whatever reason, having an extra stop on one more machine
might mean build issues get caught before pushing.

So I'd say, if you can't get them reviewed, include them in a separate pull
request.

> One minor thing: given 90% of this wiki page covers only development, I think
> it deservers its own XServerDevelopment, don't you think?

if it's 90% one topic, do we need to split it up into two pages?
I'd say the main thing is making sure everyone can find it easily but then
again, it's a wiki, I'm not going to complain if you split the page and fix
up all links to it :)

Cheers,
  Peter