[PULL] MAXSCREENS removal preparation

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Apr 26 08:48:54 PDT 2010

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:29:16 +0300, Tiago Vignatti <tiago.vignatti at nokia.com> wrote:

> This patch series is a preparation to remove MAXSCREENS from the server. It
> shouldn't affect nothing so in depth, really. Just a preparation.

Yeah, it's looking pretty good. I'll give it a bit of review and then
merge it unless I find something scary.

One thing I'm working on in parallel is to fix the devPrivates
implementation in the server so that adding a bunch of screen privates
won't impact memory usage. Right now, every screen private we add
increases the size of every pixmap, window, gc, colormap and cursor by 8
bytes (on a 32-bit system).

I've got a patch for that almost ready, which is independent of your
changes but which should be included in the 1.9 release with your
changes. I think you'll like them in any case; we'll shrink all of these
data structures by a significant amount.

keith.packard at intel.com