Merged proto package

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Fri Apr 9 01:07:19 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 12:14:50PM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> You'd have to change all the libraries and apps that depend on them.
> That's fine for xorg packages, but it's a little tougher to know about
> libraries out in the wild. At the very least, it would require that
> you reinstall all your xorg libraries with references to the
> individual package names removed so that pkg-config calls would
> resolve correctly. That seems excessive.

Welcome to what apparently will be the future. This will be our faith
from now on.

The results of the need to do massive updates will follow soon.

People will either:
* become _extremely_ prudent of protocol changes, and no changes will
end up happening any more.
* or protocol will get changed without bumping any version anymore
(that sounds like fun to debug).
* or the mass updates further limits the ability and especially
willingness of users updating their xserver, or any other packages that
depend on the proto amalgamut.

If the initial goal is to:
* speed up development
* ease debugging
* increase uptake of development xserver versions
then congratulations, you are about to achieve the exact opposite.

Luc Verhaegen.