Problem regarding configuring X server.

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 06:19:33 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 4:01 AM, Amey Moghe <amey1288 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all ,
>             I am an undergraduate student, is configuring X server as a part
> of my project. I followed the shell script and the other instructions given
> in the link which is as follows:
>
> http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/git
>
> After all the configuration done without any dependencies remaining, as per
> given in the link I tried to execute following command:
>
> rmmod i915
>
> But it was flashing error that 'i915 is running'
>
> so couldn't execute further commands. which are as follows:
>
> rmmod drm
>
> insmod <path_to_drm_tree_above>/linux-core/drm.ko
>
> insmod <path_to_drm_tree_above>/linux-core/i915.ko

These instructions are a little old. The development of the drm
modules is all done within the linux kernel tree now. So, you just
need to compile a newer kernel if you want to upgrade these. If you
are running on newer distro releases, you're usually fine using the
ones supplied. Except...

> So at last I set path for the LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/gfx-test/lib
>
> ( I have used variables as follows:
>  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/gfx-test/lib/pkgconfig
>  ACLOCAL="aclocal -I $PREFIX/share/aclocal
> also I used prefix option with --prefix=/opt/gfx-test )
>
> and to start X server ,executed following command:
>
> startx -- /opt/gfx-test/bin/Xorg -verbose
>
> But I faced following text as an error:
>

> This is a pre-release version of the X server from The X.Org Foundation.
> It is not supported in any way.
> Bugs may be filed in the bugzilla at http://bugs.freedesktop.org/.
> Select the "xorg" product for bugs you find in this release.
> Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions please check the
> latest version in the X.Org Foundation git repository.
> See http://wiki.x.org/wiki/GitPage for git access instructions.
>
> X.Org X Server 1.6.99.901 (1.7.0 RC 1)
> Release Date: (unreleased)
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-16-generic i686
> Current Operating System: Linux projectmachine4 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu
> Apr 10 13:23:42 UTC 2008 i686

This kernel is too old. If you really want to use the drm
capabilities, you'll need at least linux-2.6.29, but better would be
linux-2.6.30 or linux-2.6.31.

If you can't install a newer kernel on this machine, you can still use
X. I don't know what your project is, but this situation mostly means
you won't have accelerated 3D.

<snip>

> (EE) XKB: Couldn't open rules file /opt/gfx-test/share/X11/xkb/rules/base
> XKB: Failed to compile keymap
> Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect setup
> of xkeyboard-config.
>
> Fatal server error:
> Failed to activate core devices.

Did you install xkeyboard-config in /opt/gfx-test? You'll also likely
need to install xkbcomp in /opt/gfx-test/bin or make a symlink to your
distro's xkbcomp.

--
Dan