[RFC] removal of server generation mechanism

Sun Oct 25 11:06:49 PDT 2009

Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> Olá,
>
> This RFC removes the server generation code. It changes the behavior of the
> server which never exits unless some user explicit kills it. I.e. it acts
> permanently like the, now old. -noreset option.

Why?   Not that I won't mind having to explain less often to people why
running "xset" with no other clients connected isn't going to be useful,
but if the server is actually being used by multiple users/sessions without
being restarted in between, there's other cleanup that needs to happen
to prevent memory leaks, information leaks, etc.   For instance, xdm would
need to change it's default to terminateServer and the other display managers
would need to be checked to see if they need similar changes (I don't
remember which ones already default to that).

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com