Sun relicensing to current X.Org license

Tue Nov 24 14:39:38 PST 2009

Sun Microsystems has agreed to adopt the canonical form of the X.Org
license, as currently shown in the xorg-server/COPYING file.  We
agree with the X.Org Foundation that reducing the number of variants
of the MIT license used in X will help all users and distributors to
understand the license terms under which the X Window System is
distributed.

As Sun has contributed heavily to the X Window System over the past
21 years, it will take a while for this change to be propagated to
every file bearing a Sun copyright and license notice.  (I currently
count over 500 files across the various git repos which bear a Sun
notice.)

Please do not change any Sun license notices in the code yourself,
but allow an authorized Sun employee to do so, so that the X.Org
code history shows the proper Signed-off-by authorization for
future records.   If there's some files you'd like to see relicensed
sooner than others, please contact me, and I'll happily work with
you to make it happen.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com