[RFC] Xorg VGA arbitration (again!)

Tiago Vignatti vignatti at freedesktop.org
Thu May 14 16:56:11 PDT 2009

Hi,

This is a new attempt to push the Linux VGA arbitration code upstream.
If someone is not aware about the problem, please follow here [0].

I'll be sending the VGA arbiter code to linux-pci and lkml fellows soon.
So for now, I just want a "vertical reading" of the patches from the
Xorg people here. If the things aren't so wrong, I can send the patchset
in the proper way (git-format-patch, etc) and start to think about
upstream it.

I will not keep this work for the next weeks (moving to other country,
new job, new life, new adventures, etc -- life is crazy, don't you
think?). With lucky I'll take it again in one month or so. But for now
it would be awesome to see at least two or three "Tested-by" tags on
such patches.

== Status ==

    - two X servers is parallel works (multiseat style)
    - secondary cards works
    - xinemara-like _doesn't_ works (need to trace more paths that touch
      the registers and bracket with lock/unlock.)

== Trying it out ==

Everyone is very welcome to give a try on it. You only have to get the
usual [1] and change xserver and libpciaccess by my repositories (vgaarb
branch):
    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~vignatti/xserver
    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~vignatti/libpciaccess/

Oh sure, of course you'll need also this Linux kernel baby here:
    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~vignatti/vgaarb/

Please report your feedbacks. Thank you,

[0] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~vignatti/vgaarb/tree/vgaarbiter.txt
[1] http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide

                    Tiago