Please revert Xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Mar 27 17:39:48 PDT 2009

Dear Xorg community,
  In reading the Release Notes for the Alpha version of Fedora 11 I
noticed a very disturbing change involving disabling the default
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace behavior of killing the X server.  This default
behavior has been able to be counted on by sysadmins for years as a
means of controlling the X server.  It is now part of a sysadmins DNA.
This default behavior is also relied upon by many tools especially
virtualization tools which have Ctrl-Alt-Backspace embedded in their
menu options and functions for controlling a virtual machines behavior.

  I read in the Fedora Release Notes the assertions that this change was
due to users complaining about confusion regarding the control key
sequences relating to the X server.  That argument was no doubt made by
some in the Emacs community who find that the Emacs key sequences are
similar to the Xorg sequences.  I will tell you that this argument about
confusion is totally bogus from an entire Linux community standpoint.
The Emacs community is miniscule in size comparison to the overall Linux
community.  In over thirty years of working with *nix systems and
thousands of users and machines not once has a user ever complained
about confusion or problems involving the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace key
combination.  I am concerned because it appears that a tiny minority of
Emac users have managed to lobby for a very significant change in
default behavior for X server control to the detriment of the majority
of users and administrators in the Linux community.  Already there are a
number of angry threads popping up around the internet related to this
issue.  Please look at this particular thread that I started in the
Fedora Development forum:  http://marc.info/?t=123818605400006&r=2&w=2

  I am asking Xorg to immediately reconsider its decision with respect
to this change in default behavior regarding Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.  Please
revert this change.

  Thank you.

Gerry Reno